Friday, September 19, 2014

Thoughtful Sunflowers

Hope this lovely Friday finds you well!  

We have been having a most beautiful return to summer in our weather  - all with the beauty of the colours beginning to change.  Everywhere I look I see greens, golds, oranges and some reds, it’s a beautiful time of the year in my corner of the world.  

With that autumn sneaking in feeling I’ve been having I thought I’d play with a set that sees the beauty of both summer and autumn in Power Poppy’s set - Sunny Harvest.  It is so beautiful and I love the sunflowers.  Here they’re all wrapped up in kraft paper to take home.  


I love that sunflowers come in a variety of colours so it was fun to play with some more red tones and my prismacolour pencils.  When I’m colouring on Kraft paper I always start with a white penciled base to make the colours pop.  It’s one of my favourite looks.  

The designer papers are Teresa Collins Far and Away.  I think it’s great how the blue, russet red and white play against the Kraft.  



I’ve curved the bottom of the main image with Spellbinder’s A2 Curved Borders One, added some sewing and some piercing to the design.  The piercing was actually an accident.  It was all supposed to be sewn, but, unbeknownst to me my bobbin ran out of thread half way through (it’s happened to you too right?)  and then I just had to pull out the thread and leave it as piercing.  Then after I had filled rethreaded the bobbin, the next section I tried to sew had the tension way off....so that got ripped out too and became piercing :)   Some days the pieces are just not falling together!  

A few accents, cotton lace, a touch of seam binding and some buttons and twine.  

Hope these lovely sunflowers cheer you today!




Here’s my lovely gang playing along today for more inspiration:

Allison Cope
Christine Okken
 (you are here)
Cindy Lawrence
Dawn Burnworth
Julie Koerber
Kathy Jones
Leslie Miller



And then we invite you to play too - create anything with Power Poppy and link it over on our Power Poppy Peeps of the Week contest!    Our first ever Holiday Release begins in just 8 days!  




7 comments:

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Christine, I love the colors you chose for this card!! Since we still have warm weather here in South Florida, I'm not quite ready for fall colors (hehe!). But what a wonderful layout with the curved border. And your coloring with the pencils is stunning! Another beauty, sweet friend! So appreciate your inspiration! Hugs!

Marisa said...

Fabulous focal image and love the curved edge!

mungomom said...

I think the piercing, although it was by accident, looks wonderful.
A very beautiful card!

Robin said...

Love the curved border, and thanks for the idea of the white base.

Leslie Miller said...

Your beautifully colored image almost looks like an oil painting. Someday I will try my pencils on kraft. I like the piercing, too. It goes nicely with your curved border. I certainly have had my share of sewing mishaps!

Conniecrafter said...

Your coloring on the kraft is so pretty and I love using the border dies this way, very pretty!

Stacy Morgan said...

Gorgeous! I do like when you color on kraft and I need to try this. Your design is wonderful!