Friday, September 4, 2015

Poppies from the Heart


Hello Power Poppy Fans!  Today we’re ushering a brand new month long challenge for you!  This month Katie has challenged us to create “Gifts from the Heart”.   Here’s what she had to say about it.  

"This month’s Power & Spark challenge is all about giving.  We all know the paper crafting community has some of the biggest, giving hearts around so let’s celebrate that with “Gifts from the Heart”.  Show us your creative ways of gift presentations or a hand crafted gift….or both!  Try stamping  your own wrapping paper, decorate your own gift bag or tag, craft a gift set of note cards....youchoose how to show your art and heart for a special someone.  Even though the holidays are just around the corner, any time is a great time for gift giving so this challenge is open for any occasion.  We can’t wait to see what you create!"



I decided to do some creative packaging for a Birthday gift with our lovely Poppies set.  I created a card, gift tag and matching wrapping paper.  I really love the look of red poppies on Kraft paper, so I pulled out the prisamcolor pencils and started with the card.  


I really wanted to give my Silhouette Sketch pens another go, so I created the black background with a bronze coloured sketch pen and this beautiful medallion image.  On the cardstock here it looks almost white - but in real life it is bronze.  I doodled in the inside of the outlines with a Spica black pen and then the white prismacolour pencil.  The medallion almost has the look of intricate doodling - or even mehndi art.  


Just some simple looped ribbon and black pearls finish it off.  The sentiment is from Power Poppy’s Go Wild set.  



Now for the tag I printed the medallion onto Kraft wrapping paper and then outlined part of the design in white prismacolor pencil and some of the design with the Spica pen in black, stamping the Poppy in the middle and giving it some colour.  



And for the wrapping paper, I used another 12 x 12 inch section on my Silhouette machine, enlarged the medallion to fit the entire size and used the Sketch Pen in bronze again and had the machine sketch it out.  Then colouring in the white and black sections the same way I did on the tag.  Now I have everything I need for some pretty packaging on the next present!  



Here’s the gang playing along today...


Christine Okken
 (you are here)
Cindy Lawrence
Julie Koerber
Katie Sims
Leslie Miller
Stacy Morgan
Tosha Leyendekker


See you tomorrow for another one of our fabulous new digital designs Marcy has in store for us!


8 comments:

KimCreate said...

Very pretty card and tag!

KarinsArtScrap said...

elegant and gorgeous Christine, love it.
Gr Karin

cj boyce said...

Gorgeous card and tag. I really like the colors & your use of the white pencil.
CJ

JoAnn said...

Gorgeous card. Love those pretty flowers and your fabulous coloring.

Leslie Miller said...

Beautiful card, gorgeous poppies, and fun squiggles! You made a lovely set, Christine. Gee, I was going to do poppies today, but those berries just had to be made into a label, I guess. Next time!

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Christine, what a fabulous card and gift tag...and wrapping paper too! Wow, I am so impressed what you did with your Silhouette! I love the card with your pencil coloring...stunning! And the design is fabulous with your card. I love the color combination and your doodling. I just got a Silhouette Portrait for my birthday and will have to learn more (and may have to pick your brain a bit). What a beautiful gift set for a special recipient! Hugs, sweet friend!

Stacy Morgan said...

Gorgeous! What a fabulous gift wrapping Christine. I need to dust off my silhouette, its sat her for a long time.

Katie Sims said...

I am always in awe of your creations, Christine! Any medium you use, you make sing! I LOVE the colors of this set and your stellar coloring skills take this waaaaay over the top! So very creative, so very beautiful, and so very YOU! Hugs.....