Monday, September 5, 2016

Sunflowers Two Ways




Hello friends.  Today I’m bringing you some end of summer sushine in the form of sunflowers with The Cat’s Pajamas and the last week of our Embossing Challenge.  I have two designs to show you, because once I got started I had another way I wanted to colour up these pretty flowers.  

First off is the black embossed multi-coloured sunflowers.  



Sketchy Flowers is one of my favourite new sets from The Cat’s Pajamas.  It’s got so many pretty blooms in it, and it’s so versatile, because of it’s sketchy feel.  I stamped all of these pretty sunflower and leaf outlines onto watercolour paper and heat embossed.  This gives the watercolouring a bit of a “resist” for the water to move around.  

I coloured up the blooms with my Inktense pencils, because I really wanted some nice deep pigment.  


For the sentiment, I stamped and embossed some more of the flowers onto another piece of watercolour paper and then used my Hello There CutUps Die from TCP.  All I did was trim off the “there” from the sentiment and then cut it again in Crafters Foam so that I could stack it up.  I LOVE this crafters foam because one side of it is adhesive, so it works perfectly for little word dies.  

For the next sunflower design I went with a more impressionistic design.  



On this card I spritzed some watercolour paper, stamped the solid stamps for the sunflowers and  leaves, then moved the ink a little with my water brush.  After the whole panel was dry I embossed the gold outlines of the sunflowers on just a few of the flowers.  




For the sentiment I used the Sending CutUps Die, and embossed it by squishing it in a VersaMark pad and adding gold embossing powder on top.  I offset the Pool Party cardstock so that it would add a little colour behind the letters, and then added the Sunshine sentiment from TCP’s Sending You set.    A couple of sequins and some gold twine finish it off.  

There are lots of ways you can use embossing, so we hope you join us on the challenge as there’s only 1 week left!
Here are the details:
  1. Every other Tuesday a new challenge will be posted on The Cat’s Pajamas blog and our Facebook page.
  2. If you want to play along you just upload your design to The Cat’s Pajamas blog page using the InLinkz button by the Monday, 11:55 EDT before the next challenge.
  3. You are not required to use a Cat’s Pajamas stamp or die but if you have them we would love to see them.
  4. On the following TCP Tuesday, the winner will be chosen from the previous challenge and will receive a Cat Cash Voucher for $10 or $15 if a TCP product is used.
Pop on by to see some more TCP Embossing inspiration here: 


Brenda Nakandakari
Christine Okken (you are here)
and Alma at the TCP Blog!

4 comments:

KarinsArtScrap said...

both are stunning Christine also the use of colours.
Gr Karin

Nancy Thomas said...

Christine, these are both just amazing. I need to peek into your brain to see your process. Lovely.

Leslie Miller said...

One bold, one soft, both beautiful!

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Christine! I have been looking at these at various times during the time - I've had this browser tab open and keep going back to it. I have finally looked at it again and am still in complete LOVE with both of these cards. I love the two different styles and how you've achieved the look. Wow! I was inspired/enabled by you to get this set and now am motivated to use it. Walt got me the Zig brush markers for my birthday, and I need to try them on this set. Thank you for sharing each of these. They are amazing! Hugs, precious friend! xoxo