Sunday, May 21, 2017

Simple Cards with Kids


This Spring, our daughter had her first student-teacher placement in a first grade classroom, she had an amazing experience.  Her mentor-teacher found out that I am a card maker and as a result they asked me to be Artist in Residence for the classroom three times over a month.  I was so delighted not only show first graders how to make cards, but also to see my daughter in action with her classroom.  It was such a fun month!  It cracked me up to see them try and figure out who was Mrs. Okken and who was Miss Okken, and at first they couldn’t wrap their heads around their student-teacher actually having a mom just like them!

I thought I’d show you three of the cards I did with the kids.  All of them are very simple because I was teaching 5 and 6 year olds how to stamp, and we had a limited time period to work with each day.  The feeling of awe children get when they create is sheer wonder to watch.  It’s like the first time you or I stamped all over again, just in a little person with such great enthusiasm. I love seeing kids succeed and they’re so easy to love.  



First up is a Spring card they created.  Inspiration for this one came from Nichole Heady’s card HERE (scroll to the bottom it’s a long post). I used Stampin’ Up  and Power Poppy stamps I had on hand to give it the same style.  It included some geometry with the card as everything is stamped in a triangle behind the sentiment circle.  




This next design was an idea I found on Pinterest.  It was used as a cute Spring Art frame with fabric, but I  revamped it to be a card with designer paper strips.  The kids could choose what paper, colours and patterns they used, and the silhouette cut out of the bunny is done with TCP’s Easter Bunny CutUps die.  The sentiment is a cute one from an older Stampin’ Up set as well.  




The last card was what the kids used for their moms on Mother’s Day.  I found a couple of similar ideas on Pinterest and adapted them into a design to work for kids.  The jar is from PTI’s set Friendship Jar.  The hearts inside the jar are stamped from various sets I had on hand that had hearts in them, then all the hearts bursting out the top are cut from patterned paper.  The sentiment is from The Cat’s Pajamas.  


Thanks for popping by today!  Be back tomorrow with something fun from The Cat’s Pajamas!



4 comments:

KarinsArtScrap said...

3 beautiful cards Christine
Gr Karin

Conniecrafter said...

Oh how neat to be able to work with your daughter, how fun and such a great age to work with, you chose some great cards to have them create, I am sure you have started more cardmakers :)

Nancy Thomas said...

It had to have been such a fun and rewarding experience working with the littles. And even more special because they were your daughter's students. Fabulous job on all these sweet cards.

Helen said...

These cards are delightful. . .the "kid" in me wants to make them, too. Thanks for sharing!